Can Puppies Eat Adult Dog Food?
Puppies can eat adult dog food however it isn’t recommended. Adult dog food may not provide the optimal nutrients that puppies need which may impair their growth.
Nutritional needs for puppies
Puppies have different nutritional needs than full-grown dogs to support their rapid growth development and higher energy levels. Because of this, puppy food often contains higher levels nutrients, such as protein and calcium, to support bone and muscle growth, brain development, and their immune system.
- Calories – Calories support growth because puppies burn more energy.
- Protein – Protein is essential for building and repairing muscle tissue and bone development.
- Fat – Fat provides energy and essential fatty acids.
- Calcium and phosphorus – Calcium and phosphorus support rapid bone growth.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – DHA and ARA omega-3 fatty acids support brain development.
- Vitamins and minerals – Puppies may need more of certain types of vitamins and minerals compared to adult dogs
The difference between puppy food and adult dog food
Puppy and adult dog food is formulated to meet specific nutritional needs based on different life stages for dogs.
Puppy food supports healthy growth and development and often contains higher levels of protein, calories, fat, and nutrients for bone and muscle growth, brain development, and immune support.
Adult dog food often contains lower levels of calories, protein, and fat, and slightly fewer nutrients for bone and muscle growth, brain development, and immune support compared to puppy food.
Learn more about the difference between puppy food and adult dog food and when to switch from puppy food to adult dog food.
How to choose puppy food
- Look for puppy-specific food. This type of food should meet the nutritional requirements of puppies.
- Protein content. Look for moderate to high protein levels to support the puppy’s growth.
- Look for real ingredients. Make sure the puppy food is made with high-quality ingredients. Avoid foods that have artificial colors, preservatives, and flavors.
- Consult your veterinarian. Ask your vet what food diet they recommend for your pet.
Feeding your puppy complete and balanced food formulated for their life stage is essential for their health and well-being. Nature’s Recipes® Grain-Free Puppy Food and Lamb and Rice Puppy Food are made with real ingredients, no artificial flavors, and no added corn, wheat, or soy. These recipes are purposefully created as a balanced, nutritious dry food to give your pup's growing body all the high-quality protein needed to support muscle development and maintain vital organs, so they can run, jump, play, and grow.